Friday, July 9, 2010

Ode to Skype

(NOTE: I have no idea what an Ode entails. I could look it up, but instead I’ll just say what I want to say, and then space it weird.)

Skype.

I turn on my computer, and you pop up with your joyful alerts of my family members who are online. Specifically my mom, who is under my brother’s name, because she couldn’t figure out how to get her own. (Love you mom, its okay.)

I hit one button, and you’ve transported me thousands of miles to sit slightly awkwardly close, face to face, with my favorite people.

FOR FREE!

I thought I loved phones- slightly less than my old high-school principal who made out with the phone every time she came over the intercom, but slightly more than, say, your average 17 year old boy- but now that love has been completely overshadowed.

I love you skype, for letting me see my brothers grow, the neighbor kid's loose tooth, and my mom’s crazy (or not) hair in the morning.

I miss a little less, I share a little more and I get to watch myself make weird faces into the camera like a five year old.

Thank you Skype. Keep up the good work.

1 comment:

  1. I get so preoccupied with my nose when I'm talking with people--it gets all flattened out and simultaneously emphasized by the camera. :) But I'm glad you still get to have some fam connection while gone.

    ReplyDelete