Saturday, July 31, 2010

Its Summer, People.

Today I opened the window, and I missed home. Something about the smell of the summer morning hit me, and that was it.

I miss summer. I miss sparklers, salads, shopping, dirt, swimming, movies, going to bed late and sleeping late, popsicles, air conditioning, family reunions, camping, slurpees.

More than that, I miss my mom. I miss shopping with her, talking with her, folding clothes with her, watching dumb movies with her, and driving around with her with my feet on the dashboard and head in the clouds.

I miss the rest of my family too. Talking, laughing, eating, singing silly songs, jumping around with the kids.

I miss my friends. My favorite people are home and bored and would SO go hike Y mountain with me or go to an outdoor concert or a drive-in movie...

The number one thing I'm learned since I've come to Europe is that you can DO lots of cool things, and SEE lots of cool things, but for the long term the most important thing is PEOPLE. Relationships are what makes life meaningful. I've also learned that my family is exceptionally awesome- love you guys. So, go appreciate the people around you who you love. :)


(Btw, I'm totally not complaining. I am having awesome experiences. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I'll be telling all those people I love about for the rest of my life.)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh. Makes me teary. Love you, and miss your feet on that dashboard. BUT, I am also jealous of you- make the most of it, and bring those stories on home next month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- Lyn and Mike say a big "Way to go!"- many people don't ever learn this lesson- that PEOPLE are what matter, like you said. <>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude--it's healthy and good to be missing those people in your life who bring it meaning, context, and significance, but you aren't letting any of that endanger your adventures, either. More people who get opportunities like you need to have that perspective.

    ReplyDelete