Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 1: The Flight and Arrival

I was really worried about the flight. Two connections to catch, sixteen hours of travel, and in the past I've been sick the whole time on the plane.

Can I just say that Dramamine is a God-send? It is. It saved me. I was NOT sick for 16 hours! Until you've been motion sick on long flights you can't know how awful it is, or appreciate how amazing it feels to not be sick. Hal-le-lu-ja.

After a great bunch of goodbyes from the family, I got in line at security at SLC International. It took a little while, but not too long, and I got through fine, except I forgot my bag on the x-ray machine. Oops. I turned around grabbed it right before they called the bomb squad. Ok probably not because the bag had already passed the check, but maybe. Got some Burger King, got to the terminal, sat down. Plenty of time to spare. I decided to check if Petra wrote back telling me where to meet her at the airport. As soon as my computer booted on, a lady with an annoyingly soothing voice came on: "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are sorry for the inconvenience, but flight blah blah blah to Minneapolis has been changed to gate blah blah all the way across the airport blah." Collective sigh. Collective shuffle to other side of airport. On the way, I talked to a lady from Ogden traveling for work. She was nice, and excited for me, and really annoyed about the gate change, because she had a quick connection.

No sooner did we sit down again, but to have the lady with the annoyingly soothing voice come on again. "Ladies and Gentlemen... blah blah blah your gate is back to the terminal before, right next to the gate it was before." I'm pretty sure that the collective sigh, was much more like a very loud groan/grumble/expletive explosion. The lady I was talking to was sure she wouldn't make her connection now. I was hoping that mine would be okay too, because my layover in Minneapolis to get onto the flight to Amsterdam was only 1 hour. Like I wasn't already anxious enough about making connections all by myself.

I got on, got in the wrong seat, got that pointed out, mutually decided not to switch, (I had a window seat). I immediately took the Dramamine, and oh how glad I am that I did. I listened to Rick Steve's radio show about "flying coach", and the flight was great. Not bad at all, and the view on the way into Minneapolis was really nice. I'd like to go there sometime.

We were a little delayed when the flight came in, so I rushed across the airport and got right on the next plane. Holy huge plane. I guess it was the A330 or something like that. So many people. Nice flight attendants. I sat next to a window, next to a man who was REALLY excited to get, as he put it "Boozed up". I think during the flight he had two vodkas, two or three glasses of wine, a beer or two, and then LOTS of coffee in the morning. This was my first experience turning down the beverages. I didn't think about how often that would happen. All people drink in Europe is coffee, tea, and alcohol. I'd better get used to it.

The trans-Atlantic flight was not too bad. It was long, to be sure, but the big plane minimized the turbulence, and the stewardesses were really nice. The guy I sat next to really was fine, and he was excited for me and my adventure too. He even took a picture of me right before we left.



I watched Valentine's Day (as mediocre as everyone said) and then ate dinner (fine), and then tried to sleep. It was weird, because it never actually got dark! We were just chasing the sun I guess. Weird. I tried to sleep, taking some Valerian, and drifted in and out, once in a while waking up to check the monitor telling me where we were and the window to see what I could see (only the top of the clouds. The top of the clouds really do look like cotton balls.) When we were flying over the British Isles the sun started rising. I could only see the reflection on the wing, but it was still very pretty.



The view as I came into Amsterdam was gorgeous. I was excited to stretch my legs! I was worried about making my connecting flight, but the Amsterdam airport is set up nicely, so despite my flight being at the gate farthes away from the one I arrived, I made it just fine.


The last leg of the flight was super short, and no problem at all (well, it was a small plane, and we hit some turbulence, but like I said, Dramamine is amazing.) I talked the whole time with a guy probably about my age from the town just on the German side of Salzburg. He told me all about the many things to do in Munich, emphasizing the beer and saying "but at least you must try, Bavarian beer is the best in the world!" Oh well. He thought I was a crazy American girl, which I guess I am, so no worries.



Once I got off the plane in Munich, I had no idea where to go. I never got a chance to check my email. This is Germany! This is Germany! I know ZERO German! What am I going to do?!?! As soon as I figured out I didn't have wireless internet, Petra walked in the doors with a bright yellow sign with my name on it. Yes! That was easy! I am here! Wahoo!

We went straight to the grocery store, because she had taken the day off, and needed to go, and right away I had a cultural experience. So interesting! Some things in Germany cost WAY more, like the backpack she bought for her son for 50 euros, and some thing less, like cheese for like a euro a pound! (I should make fondue while I am here!) I even got some curly mousse for my hair. Woot. Somewhat tame the beast that my hair becomes in this humidity.

We went to the bank, to get me an account, and then I met Paula, the old au-pair who's leaving soon, and the kids, who for the purpose of safety I'll call Charlie(5) and Lola(3), when we went and picked them up from Kindergarten. Thants what they call it. I think its a mix between daycare and preschool. Super cute little school, I'll have to take pictures sometime.

After lunch we took the kids to Hannah's house. I already LOVE Hannah. She is an awesome mom, great with kids, great at English (and German, and French). Her two little girls are ADORABLE! All the kids switch seamlessly from German to English and back, its so cool. We went to the cute park around the corner... Everything in Dietersheim (the village) is adorable. I love it. Like gingerbread houses or something, plus its super green. Beautiful. I'll post pictures another time.

We ate dinner, played, and I talked to my family on Skype. Love Skype. May or may not give my left arm for it, if necessary. Its so great. All calls should be free video calls all the time!

After that, I finally took a shower (well, kind of a bath. I was sitting down in the tub, and then there was a showerhead that I could use too) and then went to bed. I zonked so fast... it was amazing. Before I knew it it was morning again, but I guess thats day two.

This post is ridiculously long, and you probably started skimming five paragraphs ago, but its a good record for me. Maybe I should make two blogs, a journal blog with all the details and then another one with all the interesting stuff. Heh, I'll think about it. Anyway, I just want to say, that I feel ready for this. I know its not going to be easy. I'm going to be working. A lot. And going going going all day. A lot. But I really do feel like I was guided here, and after all, "All these things shall give the EXPERIENCE..."

No comments:

Post a Comment