Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 3: Dietersheim

Words I know in German:

Halo!= Hello!
Genau= Right (like "I understand", "True", not the direction)
Super= well, super.
Ja (Pronounced yah)= yes
Nein= no
Guten Mortgen= good morning
Danke= Thank you

Dietersheim is the village I live in. Its pronounced Dieter's (like Elder Uctdorf) hiem- like "to life, to life, la chaim" or like hi-em if your lacking in your Fiddler on the Roof knowledge.
It is beautiful here.

All the houses look like gingerbread houses. They're all white stucco with red terracotta roofs, wooden flower boxes full of flowers, shutters...


There's a farm next door with chickens and cows.

There are wheat fields a block away that rustle and sing like tiny bells in the wind.

Wild poppies and yellow wildflowers line the path through the nearby wood, where you can hear the Isar rushing by, punctuated by the cawing of crows.

The kindergarten is across the street, full of art projects, bright colors, and kids chattering away in German.

I'll post more pictures of the town another time, but just picture a Storybook village, and you've pretty much got Dietershiem down. I think Dieter must have really known what peace and beauty is.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    This is VERY random but just proves how the internet connects people. I was searching images of Dietersheim today because I also used to live there. Your photo of Grasslhof came up so I clicked it and realized the photo was taken from the same vantage point that I used to see from my window. I then found your blog. WOW. I also worked for Petra and lived in Dietersheim for 7 months! I think I am Petra's longest working au pair, but I don't know if things changed for her once I left. I actually was the au pair before Paula, and her and I bonded over the mutual Petra experience. I loved reading your posts about Munich, the village, and the people. I love Oma, Opa, and especially Hannah. When I first moved to the village, Hannah had also just moved and we became good friends. Your entries are SO positive, which is an attitude an au pair living in isolation like that needs. I found that hanging out with the Polish couple downstairs and walking along the Isar was the best coping mechanism possible. Did you meet Simon and Monika? I think they moved out shortly after I left. I would LOVE to talk to you sometime about your experience if you are ever interested. You can always email me at (sdurusse@gmail.com).

    It was so fun to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete