Monday, June 28, 2010

Ubahn/World Cup Celebration Encounters

1. Totally hot indie dude with a beard. Now, normally I hate facial hair, but this guy was a part of the exception to that rule, because he totally looked like Geoff from Ace of Cakes, and was wearing a flannel. My roommates would’ve freaked. He gave me a knowing smile after one of the crazy World Cup celebrators tapped on the window and screamed “Deutschland! Deutschland! Grraaaaahhh!” We both kind of just shrugged and smiled, and then he went back to jamming to his super indie (I’m sure) music on his iPod.


2. Waiting for my train, I talked to a man from Turkey who spoke only German to me and I understood every word. Proof that body language is 90% of communication. We were mostly shaking our heads at the loud drunk people, but still. It was awesome that I could understand him, and he seemed to understand me. Kind of encouraging after my previous experiences with language.

Everyone was wearing the red, yellow and black flags, jerseys, hats, face paint, everything. Those annoying horns were everywhere. I was walking around Nymphenborg (palace with huge grounds) and I heard it every time we scored. (Four times). When it was over, horns were honking, people were screaming, dancing, singing… It was amazing. This country definitely has passion. And that was just the quarter finals!

No comments:

Post a Comment